I had a discussion with a friend recently regarding bitcoin skepticism. I believe anyone into investing (& especially the bitcoin / blockchain space) is wise to continuously evaluate their own information and hear the perspectives of skeptics. I decided to put together this list as a source of known skeptics that’ve been commenting on the space as far back as 2013.
In my time with bitcoin, I’ve benefited from following the debates that arise from these perspectives and have found them to be some of the most compelling evidence of bitcoins increasing likelihood of success. Furthermore the angst of many to accept these arguments at surface level is also complimentary evidence that we are indeed still in the early days of bitcoin; even now in late 2018.
Here is a list of bitcoin skeptics – many will be familiar to you and some will be less so. I made it for a friend but figured I’d post it here for easy distribution in the future. All provide valuable perspective & insight whether you agree with them or not and will help you reach your own conclusions. Feel free to share for those looking to make a retrospective review of skeptical personalities & arguments.
Academic & Economist Takes: (a.k.a. dinosaurs)
- Nouriel Roubini: NYU Professor & pundit @Nouriel
- Paul Krugman: NYT Columnist / Nobel Laureate @paulkrugman
- Robert Shiller: Nobel Winning Economist
- Preston Byrne: Lawyer / Blockchain Expert @prestonjbyrne
Probably my favorite skeptic. Loves marmots. This guy is sharp and tends to have what I believe to be the best and most legitimate takes on why blockchains, bitcoin, etc. could potential fail or are completely unnecessary/useless. He’s someone I listen to and don’t cringe at (where as admittedly most of these dinosaurs regurgitate the same surface level arguments we hear chronically with no understanding of the tech)
Investor / Banker / Tech Takes:
- George Soros: Billionaire Investor
- Warren Buffett / Charlie Munger (Billionaire Investors) / Bill Gates:
- Jamie Dimon: JP Morgan CEO & Chairman
Gold Bug / Libertarian Takes:
- Peter Schiff: @PeterSchiff
- Jim Rickards: @JamesGRickards
Internal Crypto Fans Against Bitcoin:
Former Bitcoin Core Devs:
- Mike Hearn – original core dev who left the project famously convinced it would fail:
- Gavin Andresen: Was lead dev on bitcoin in early years working with Satoshi in forums. Adopted the project once Satoshi stepped away.