Hello everyone — it’s been a while since I’ve posted but in recent weeks I’ve been getting more and more requests / inquiries for information on bitcoin and blockchain tech. With that — I thought it easiest to post some of the information I’ve been sharing with peers and colleagues. Please note: Bitcoin and blockchain technology make for a massive and ever changing landscape of information. The content listed below may be more than you ever want to know. That being said, if you truly find yourself interested and going down the proverbial “bitcoin rabbit hole” you will likely find this to be vastly insufficient. If so, venture no further than google and you will find all that you need.
Disclaimer: I am not a financial advisor. The intention of this post is to provide eager new enthusiasts with resources and information to help them begin understanding the implications of bitcoin and blockchain technology. Be responsible.
If you are completely new to the concepts of Bitcoin and Blockchain begin by viewing the videos on this site to get a very base understanding of bitcoin and the blockchain: https://www.weusecoins.com
If you are a reader — this is a good book to start with. “The Age of Cryptocurrency”:
If you are a coder — this might be a better starter read that will let you dig into code right away:
Lecture(s): There are countless lectures by great speakers on a host of subjects. Some focus on bitcoin as money, other focus on bitcoin politically, others focus on decentralization, etc. Here are a couple recommendations — but I’d also encourage you to do your own searches to find what topics interest you:
- Andreas Antonopoulos – Bitcoin Guru. The “Bitcoin vs. the Blockchain” Debate
- Wences Casares: CEO of Xapo. The history and traits of money. How does bitcoin compare?
- Balaj Srinivasan: CEO of Bitcoin Startup 21.co and VC with Andreessen Horowitz. 21.co has received over $120 million in startup funding.
- Various Speakers: A host of topics on Bitcoin from various experts.
CoinDesk “State of Bitcoin” report Q3 – 2015: This is a quarterly summary/report of all things going on in the blockchain/bitcoin ecosystem. Touches on trends, venture capital, startups, events, etc.
My Own Writing from my Blog:
- Identity Systems based on the Bitcoin Blockchain: A post I wrote about a company using blockchain identity & reputation systems to create secure and autonomous identity on the internet: https://rywalk.wordpress.com/2015/02/13/onename-the-bridge-between-physical-digital-identity/ Here’s my OneName page: https://onename.com/ryanwalker
- Heathcare and the Blockchain: A post I wrote about how blockchain tech could transform the way we store, secure, and utilize our health information: https://rywalk.wordpress.com/2014/11/10/healthcare-and-the-blockchain/
The Nitty Gritty for Non-Coders: Khan Academies “What is Bitcoin?” series is a great run-through course on the fundamentals of bitcoin for the layman. It introduces you to some of the more difficult concepts (cryptography, etc.) but doesn’t overwhelm you. Worth checking out for the ambitious layman:
Promising Startups in the Blockchain and Bitcoin Space: Incredible companies being built on or in parallel to Bitcoin: These are some of the pretty awesome startups that are building their own protocols for decentralized systems that may run in parallel to bitcoin. They will enable some pretty abstract but incredible things in the future that were never possible before and would merit a lot of discussion to understand:
https://21.co/ (trying to make bitcoin a part of every computer)